Cream Chicken Cassoulet
1 cup bagged mixed beans
1/4 cup barley
1 lb boneless/skinless chicken, cubed
1 bone-in chicken breast (skin-on), browned
2 sausages, 1/4" round cuts
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3 cups Manischewitz Chicken Broth
1 Tbsp tomato paste
6 cloves garlic, smashed/roughly chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 can stewed tomatoes with liquid
2 medium onions, diced
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. In large bowl, add beans and barley with 2 Tbsp salt and 2 cups of hot water. Let soak 2-4 hours.
2. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil on medium to high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and celery and sauté another 2-3 minutes.
4. Lower heat to medium-low and add the sausages, soaked bean/barley mix, canned tomatoes, and seasonings. Sauté for 5 minutes, mixing well.
5. Add the cubed boneless chicken and seasonings and let cook, mixing the ingredients together for 5-8 minutes, until the chicken starts to brown.
6. Add tomato paste and chicken broth. Mix well and lower heat to low.
7. Cover and let cook stirring occasionally for 45-60 minutes. The beans should be soft.
8. While that cooks, brown the chicken breast in a medium skillet on high heat. Place 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil in the skillet. When the pan gets hot, carefully place the breast skin-side down in the pan and let cook for 2-3 minutes. Rotate to bottom and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. If you want more color on the skin, place it in a broiler for an additional 2-3 minutes. Be sure to watch it in the broiler. Depending on the equipment, you might need less time.
9. When the chicken breast is cooled, slice a few pieces in a diagonal fashion.
10. Serve the cassoulet in a bowl or on a plate. Place the sliced chicken breast right on top and enjoy.
As an alternative presentation, you can serve this on a plate with asparagus or roasted veggies.